Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Nothing but Praise for this Pilot

Hello Readers.

I have a video I wanted to show you today. It shows a UPS jet coming in for a landing. The jet is almost at the point of touchdown when the entire jet suddenly yaws to the left. The pilot, obviously very alert and experienced, lets their instincts take over and they throttle the engines up and save the jet. A spectacular save at that.

Douglas DC-8 Almost Crashes During Landing


I know personally how that feels. As a Loadmaster/Radio Operator on a Marine Corps KC-130 in Lajes in Azores in the late eighties, I experienced something similar when we tried to land. The runway lights met at a point in front of us until suddenly a crosswind blew our aircraft toward the right side of the runway. Then I only saw the right side runway lights. My heart was in my throat. The pilots corrected the direction of the aircraft, executed the "missed approach" as they did in the video and came back around for another attempt. We successfully landed on the second attempt. That was my only chance in my Marine Corps career to go to Rota Spain. But we were successful and went to the hotel and counted our blessings. The Marine Corps has good pilots too. :-)

Yours in community, success and discovery of new, interesting and fun things,

Joseph R. Mays

No comments: